I finish my blogging assignment with a reflection of what I have learned.
This assignment has opened my eyes to the power of new media. I have learned about the importance of blogs and the improvement blogging has made to publishing, designing and journalism. I discovered different types of new media such as vlogs, moblogging and photoblogs. I have learned that blogs and new media isn't only useful for publishing but can be used for business and marketing purposes as well as to connect with others on the Internet.
The other things I have learned:
- Basic key elements in composition like informational value, salience and framing (Kress & van Leeuwen, 2006)
- Ethics and conduct when it comes to publishing. People must take responsibility for their work. (Webber, 2005)
- Designing for print and designing for online documents are completely different.Print is designed in 2-dimension, with much attention paid to layout, while web designs are ‘1-dimensional and N-dimensional’ which causes readers to scroll up-and-down as they read the document. (Nielson, 1997)
- Blogs may be more popular than traditional newspapers but newspapers is still needed because of it's prominence in credibility and accuracy in information reporting. (Lannon, 2006)
Nicholas Cheng Zhu Hann
- Kress, G & van Leeuwen, T 2006, "Reading Images: Grammar of Visual Design," Routledge, London
- Lannon, J.M. 2006, "Technical Communication," 10th edn, Pearson Education, USA
- Nielson, J 1997, "The Difference Between Paper and Online Presentation," online, retrieved 18 November 2009, from http://www.sun.com/980713/webwriting/wftw1.html
- Weber, J.H. 1995, "Ethics in Scientific and Technical Communication" Wisenet Journal, Vol.38, No.1, pp. 2-4